Week 32 : Activity 8 - Reflective Practice
Week
32 - Reflective practice
Activity 8 - Key change in my professional
practice
What?
When reflecting on my Mind Lab
journey of 32 weeks, the significant change I have made is professional
relationship as required by “Our Code, Our Standards (Minsitry of Education,
2017), particularly exposing myself to the social media.
Now what?
1.
Problem
Identification
I was always withdrawn from accessing social media due to
a negative experience I had been through. However, it is critical to reflect on
this experience as Osterman and
Kottkamp (1993) suggest, reflective practice can assist practitioners to
understand and can evaluate their practice.
2.
Observation
and Analysis
With Mind Lab in place, it regained my confidence and
competence through accessing google community (G+) thus encouraging me to
expose myself to other platforms which assist my teaching practice in various
ways. Due to my previous negative online experience, I personally assumed there
wouldn’t be anyone willing to respond to my posts. Mind Lab totally proved me
wrong for there were many professional colleagues who gave up their precious
times to pour out their deep amazing thoughts via blogging to support me as required
and shared in my reflections. Blogging serves
as a model to facilitate and enhance learning and knowledge management in a
shared context among practitioners (Lave & Wenger, 1991). I refer to Mind
Lab as my 2018 professional learning development (PLD), specifically digital
technology wise.
3.
Abstract
Reconceptualization
It encourages, and boosts up my self esteem trusting to
respond and affiliate with other professional practitioners who share the same interests
and goals (Osterman, K. F., & Kottkamp, R. B. 2015). Mind
Lab has opened up the door ways to my limited and lonesome world in which I only
collaborated with a few people - students and school staff, whether it’s
learning or teaching practice.
4.
Active experimentation
With the
opportunity made available through blogging, and when opening up about own overwhelmed experience, I
had been fully supported, discovering solutions for some changes I need to for
my professional behavior and personal belief. Educators find great value in working
collaboratively with colleagues when drawing to their diverse experience and
expertise, they increase greatly the pool of available resources and ideas. I have learned quite a lot from this effective professional
online communication. Mind Lab is exciting and fun. It turns my negative online
fear into confidence to share with other professional practitioners who
contributed their lovely ideas into improving my teacher practice, to enable my
learning stakeholders and I to continuously collaborate in order to prepare the
students for the 21st century learning.
What next?
Mind Lab has been modelling how to transform my teaching practice into an
innovative flipped classroom that is to be well equipped and organized,
personalizing learning, thus creating a safe learning environment that caters for
diverse learning needs of the students. As required by the Ministry of
Education (2017), I have to continuously engage
in professional learning and adaptively apply this in practice. I have to also
remember to use inquiry,
collaborative problem- solving and professional learning to improve
professional capability that impacts on the learning and achievement of all
learners, thus respecting tangata whenua by integrating their cultural aspects
into different curriculum areas where relevant and possible. Finlay (2008. P. 1) recommends and I agree to “recapture own practice experiences and mull them over
critically to gain new understandings and improve my future practice
It
is critical that I uphold the Professional Teaching expectations
set out in the Code of Professional Responsibility and Standards digital
technology wise, for they allow me to work collaboratively with other professional
practitioners. It supports me in a professional way to catch up with the new learning
speed required for the learners’ future and lifelong learning.
References:
Finlay, L. (2009). Reflecting on reflective practice.
Practice-based Professional Learning Centre, Open University. Retrieved from http://www.open.ac.uk/opencetl/sites/www.open.ac.uk.opencetl/files/files/ecms/web-content/Finlay-(2008)-Reflecting-on-reflective-practice-PBPL-paper-52.pdf
Lave, J. & Wenger, E. (1991). Situated
Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation. Cambridge: Cambridge University
Press.
Ministry of Education
(2017). Our code, our standards. Retrieved from
Osterman, K. F., & Kottkamp, R. B. (2015).
Reflective practice for educators : professional development to improve student
learning.(2nd ed.) New York: Skyhorse Publishing.
Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R.(1993). Reflective
Practice for Educators.California.Corwin Press, Inc. Retrieved from hhttp://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files/RefPract/Osterman_Kottkamp_extract.pdf
Comments
Post a Comment