Week 30 - PRACTICE- The Broader Professional Context


Week 30 - PRACTICE- The Broader Professional Context


The changes brought by trends and the impacts within various workplaces or wider communities (Wilson, 2012) is an ongoing discussion amongst most people. It’s hard to believe that I am facing them in my own classroom. It’s scary but at the same time a wake up call that alerts my practice.

What?
Children of today are digitally technology freak. Students are advanced than I in using various digital devices and platforms. I do recognize my students’ skills and knowledge as expert others to support me and other children in different platforms consumptions. They are proud of being respected, but, it’s tricky for some can be sometimes sneaky when they do their own things and not the required learning task.  We always use you tube for searching, gathering and to obtain information required for either individuals or groups’ presentations. I am more confident in using just some tools for particularly curriculum content and assessment. Nevertheless, I need to learn more about the wide range of platforms and available technology tools to enhance students’ learning in order to align with the 21st century learning demand.

So what?
Worldwide, marvelous trends are taking place and are continuously affecting the citizens’ societies’ qualities (National Intelligence Council, 2017; KPMG International, 2014). As a professional practitioner, I really have to be more proactive.

Mind Lab encourages and warns me to get down into my teacher business of learning how to prepare the students as lifelong learners in a technological information-based environment. I as an educator need to teach the skills the learners need to make the right decisions online, and get them to think deeply about the consequences associated with social media interactions and how they will impact their long-term goals (Daggett, 2014). To this sense, integrating technology into my instructional practice is crucial however, the speed of digital technology, 21st century learners’ digital device and platform users is a concern for it’s beyond my professional teacher reach.

Now what?
Although I decide to commit into advanced technological learning and master this professional teacher requirement, I can never be the sole manager of educating and preparing the students to be lifelong learners regardless of how dedicated I can be due to hindrances. Many decision makers involving the nation, schools, families/whanau/aiga, communities even the learners have to collaborate for what transformations to implement, when and how to operate such changes. It’s fundamental to know why schools should change before deciding how to make changes. Importantly, I have to not only gain the required knowledge and skills, but critically reflect and transform my teaching practice to equate the 21st century learning demand. Sticking to my old teaching methodologies will take me nowhere.



References

Daggett, B. (2014). Addressing Current and Future Challenges in Education. Retrieved from

KPMG International. (2014). Future state 2030: the global megatrends shaping governments” [Video]. KPMG International Cooperative: USA. Retrieved from http://www.kpmg.com/Global/en/IssuesAndInsights/ArticlesPublications/future-state-government/Documents/future-state-2030-v3.pdf

National Intelligence Council. (2017). Global trends: The Paradox of Progress. National Intelligence Council: US. Retrieved from https://www.dni.gov/files/images/globalTrends/documents/GT-Main-Report.pdf

Wilson, B. (2012). Trends and issues facing distance education. In L. Visser, Y. Visser M., R. Amirault & M. Simonson (2nd Ed.) Trends and Issues in Distance Education. International Perspectives (pp.39-54). North Carolina: Information Age Publishing, Inc.



Comments