Week 28 Reflection - Activity 4


Week 28: Reflection.

Activity 4: Applied Practice 2 in Context

It is the Teachers’ Council that confirms and registers (New Zealand Teacher Registration Board, 1991: 12) any good character person who is “fit to be a teacher” (Education Council, 2017).  However, the making of that particular teacher is the responsibility of various education experts like teacher training lecturers, schools’ principals, vice and assistant principals, team/syndicate leaders, associate teachers, teacher appraisers and the individual teachers.

What?
It was the fourth day, of the first two weeks, of my final student teacher practicum at the school. I was in a class of 34 students. My associate teacher was admitted in the hospital the night before the two Year 8 classes’ trip. A reliever and one parent appeared in the classroom before the bus left for the EOTC venue. Just before we left, the syndicate leader told me that the class was all mine. “Really? Are you coming?” I asked. He wasn’t, but confirmed that I was responsible for the class.

The trip went smoothly at the start but it didn’t last longer. One girl pushed a boy who sent a weird email to her Year 7 sister three weeks ago from the school during the class ICT. Luckily, the parent helper at the trip was the boy’s uncle who parted and stopped them. They were informed that the matter would be dealt with the following day in school.

So What?
I was extremely shocked, nervous and worried. I hadn’t enough time to make the best decision. The safety of 34 students and I was risked. I assumed the syndicate leader would come with us to meet the adult students’ ratio. I remembered the legal adult students’ ratio of 1 to 10 from one of the university lectures. I thought of telling the syndicate leader that it was illegal for me to be alone with the class. Since students already walked to the bus, it would be chaotic to cancel the trip right away.
It was only my sixth day of building a learning focused relationship with the learners, whanau/aiga and the community and a professional relationship with the staff as I would be back for another 6 weeks to conclude my practicum. I wondered about the students’ medical conditions. What if any medical issue arose on the day?  What if any accident happened? Who would be responsible?

Now What?
The trip should be cancelled for the following reasons:
  •          It didn’t meet the legal adult students’ ratio
  •          Illegally, I shouldn’t be alone with the class.
  •          I didn’t know the students well – their behavior and medical conditions
  •          Any signed consents for the children?
Only if time permitted and to align with education morals (Wilson, 1967; Tom, 1984; Goodlad, Soder and Sirotnik, 1990), I should have reminded the team leader the legal procedures around student teachers with pupils. I should have called the university or contacted the school’s practicum contact person for advice. It would be helpful too to clearly explain to the class the reasons why they wouldn’t go if the trip was cancelled.
At school, the associate teacher should call a meeting with the children, their parents and syndicate leader to discuss the emails’ conflict, consequences and solutions depending on the problem’s roots and evidence due to breach of ICT (Livingstone, 2009). The principal should have been informed regarding the syndicate leader’s decision.


References

Children and the Internet: Great Expectations, Challenging Realities. Livingstone, S. (2009)

Education Council. (2017). Our Code Our Standards. Retrieved from:

Goodlad, J.I., Soder, R. and Sirotnik, K.A. (eds) (1990). The moral dimensions of teaching. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

New Zealand Teacher Registration Board (1991). The registration of teachers. Wellington: NZTRB.

Tom, A. (1984). Teaching as a moral craft. New York: Longman.

Wilson, J. (1967). What is moral education? Part 1. In Wilson, J., Williams, N. and Sugarman, B. (Eds.), Introduction to moral education. Baltimore: Penguin Books



Comments