Week 18:
Reflecting on own practice towards future-oriented learning and teaching.
I am Samoan, speaks Samoan
fluently and totally understand our culture, still, there are barriers working
Years 5, 6 & 7 Samoan Bilingual students. This reflection is based on Gibbs
reflection model.
Our team received 26 chrome
books. Room 22 (31 students) has 8 chrome books to use. Before, the class used
to blog on DP Primary but was used as a social media.
A learning focused partnership
with stakeholders (students & their parents) using the Pasifika talanoa
approach to overcome the parents and students’ obstacles was created. Parents
came on board, revealing their fear for children’s use of digital devices
causing them to access inappropriate online sites as in the misuse of DP
Primary blogging. Most parents lack technology knowledge and thought it would
be impossible to support their children even though they want to be part of
their learning.
Sorting out parents and students’
issues was contradicted. I felt uncomfortable as I didn’t know the parents
well. I became nervous doubting their agreement about the importance of digital
devices’ use in students’ education nowadays. I wondered and worried for the
impact of changes to monitor digital devices’ use in the classroom. Would it be
enough for the devices’ safety? I felt frustrated realizing the digital devices
available would be troublesome when using due to shortage.
I adopted a transformational
leadership approach to work cooperatively with the stakeholders A system to
monitor the class use and safety of digital devices was in place; to know who
used what device, at what time and how it was before and after use. Google doc,
google slide, you tube and personal school emails were introduced to record,
research and share school work with peers, parents, aiga and I. These could be
used at any time, anywhere by students and their learning supporters. Transformational
leadership is authentic as it gives the learner a sense of personal
|
Date
|
Time
|
User
|
Comment
|
|
|
Good
√
|
Problem/s
Explain
|
|||
|
|
|
|
|
|
agency and is strongly
motivational according to Ford, (1992); McCombs & Marzano, (1990).
Students’ learning was personalized as they took ownership of their own
learning believing they would succeed and become leaders by collaborating to
support their peers. Their hard work and risk taking lead towards perceiving
self-efficacy as trusted by Bandura (1982).
Diversity, equity and
inclusivity issues challenge the 21st century learning according to Bolstad, Gilbert, McDowall, Bull, Boyd & Hipkins
(2012). I respected this to cater for my linguistically, culturally, socially,
economically and psychologically
diverse stakeholders (students, parents and aiga). I liked an equal opportunity
for them all.
Although most
students had fun, enjoying sharing their learning online, some couldn’t due to
unavailable home devices. Some parents took their children to the public
libraries and other public places with WIFI to do and share their work. With a
big class, I couldn’t keep up with internet exploration. Students accessed
wrong sites as reported by others. If I set up fun relevant online activities,
not much time could be wasted. I could have used some fun, relevant, authentic,
challenging educational games as Amory (2007) recommends to get students
engaged.
The implemented change allowed
my stakeholders effective communication to support the students’ learning. It
also excelled their leadership skills enabling students to support each other.
Learners too, began to take ownership of their learning. I would like to
support the parents, community lack of technology knowledge. 3 Way conference or
a meeting can be a better chance to do this training after consulting the
school management. Appropriate educational games should be taught to
stakeholders focusing on accelerating learners’ education.
References
Amory, A. (2007). Game object model version
II: a theoretical framework for educational game development. Educational
Technology Research & Development, 55(1), 51–77 elf-efficacy mechanism in human agency.
American Psychologist, 37,
Bandura, A. Self-efficacy mechanism in human agency.
American Psychologist, 37, 122-147.
Bolstad, R., Gilbert, J., McDowall, S., Bull,
A., Boyd, S., & Hipkins, R. (2012). Supporting future-oriented learning and
teaching — a New Zealand perspective. Report prepared for the Ministry of
Education. Retrieved from https://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/publications/schooling/109306
Finlay,
L. (2009). Reflecting on reflective practice. PBPL. Retrieved from http://www.open.
ac.uk/opencetl/sites/www.open.ac.uk.opencetl/files/files/ecms/web-content/Finlay-(2008)-Reflecting-on-reflective-practice-PBPL-paper-52.pdf
Ford, M. (1992). Motivating humans: Goals, emotions, and
personal agency beliefs. Newbury Park, CA: Sage. Gose, M. (2009). When Socratic
dialogue is flagging: Questions and strategies for engaging students. College
Teaching, 57 (1), 45-49.
McCombs, B. L., & Marzano, R. J. (1990). Putting the
self in self-regulated learning: The self as agent in integrating will and
skill. Educational Psychologist, 25, 51–69.
Comments
Post a Comment