Week 19: Contribution
of teacher inquiry topics to my communities of learning.
Undertaking Mind Lab studies is a journey
that reminds, encourages and challenges me to be more proactive in a number of
ways to consider, acknowledge and respect all those people who contribute to the
learner’s education. For that reason, I have inquired into working with them in
whatever way possible to support the learner’s life long learning.
This reflection is based on Jay and
Johnson’s model to discuss two inquiry topics in relation to my Communities
of Practice (CoP). Since the start of Mind Lab, I’d been wondering:
1)
How do I
imbed digital leadership to support stakeholders - students, aiga, teacher and Samoan
community to enhance Years 5, 6 & 7 bilingual students learning?
2)
How
do I integrate gamification to support Years 5, 6 & 7 Bilingual students learning?
The stakeholders I am working with
are culturally, linguistically, economically and psychologically diverse. As a leader,
I should have searched for much better ways for us all to come together as a devoted
group that focusses on the learners’ education, the core of our learning focused
partnership. Emails, newsletters, face to face conversations and phone calls are
means to inform them about the student’s learning – assessment, successes,
sport, EOTC., 3 Way conferences, behavioural concerns and more. It was never a
100 % response as required due to communication break down. I suspected that parents/aiga
didn’t get the newsletters or the correct message, resulting in less or no
respond.
I respect parents who lack
technology knowledge to access online communication and doubt if I can propose
for the school to allow us (Samoan bilingual staff) to provide technology
trainings to support them. It is to effectively communicate with the group, share
and learn form each other to support the learner/s. Some parents are expert
others who can help in this sense.
I trust the community of practice
(CoP) notion according to Lave & Wenger (1991), for it is an exercise where
members’ passion and expertise can be shared. They maybe willingly interact
regularly to improve more (Wenger, McDermott & Snyder, 2002, p.4) on
supporting the learners. At times, I really feel for the parents’ economical
situations which disallow and shy them away from continuous participation and
contribution to their children’s education. It’s frustrating as they fail to be
there for their children since language draws a huge barrier disabling an
effective communication among the stakeholders. I highly respect my community
of practice for committing to their children’s learning through an informal and
unofficial correspondence (Jurasaite-Harbison & Rex (2010).
Nevertheless, students, parents, aiga and the Samoan community still cooperate
to sustain their collaboration in supporting the learners’ education as revealed and clarified in the Knox (2009) video, via
EDpuzzle. They correspond, interact, build and share experiences and knowledges
to achieve the shared leaning goal/s of the group – “students’ educational achievement”
as Cambridge, Kaplan, and Suter (2005) support.
I think if gamification in a
more careful and relevant context is considered, it can greatly impact on my
community of practice goal. As mentioned before, the devoted group of people
who decide and mutually agree to take the risk, for the children’s learning to
flourish; is my community of practice’s intention. However, they the members,
should be firstly well equipped to be able to assist at any time possible. This
is not the case with my stakeholders.
As a matter of fact, lots of
bits and pieces are not in place. For instance, my community of practice are
cooperative and respectful for they all trust me to produce some effective
methodologies that can assist us all to accelerate the students’ life long
learning. I have to open up and use the authentic opportunities made available through
Mind Lab learning. Do not hesitate to take the risk for we all learn from
mistakes.
References
Cambridge, D., Kaplan, S.
& Suter, V. (2005). Community of practice design guide: A Step-by-Step
Guide for Designing & Cultivating. Retrieved from https://net.educa
use.edu/ir/library/pdf/NLI0531.pd...
Jay, J.K. and Johnson, K.L.
(2002) Capturing complexity: a typology of reflective practice for teacher
education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18, 73-85.
Jurasaite-Harbison, E., &
Rex, L. (2010). School Cultures as Contexts for Informal Teacher Learning.
Teaching and Teacher Education, 26(2), 267-277.
Knox,
B.(2009, December 4). Cultivating Communities of Practice: Making Them Grow. [video
file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtu
be.com/watch?v=lhMPRZnRFkk
Lave, J. & Wenger, E. (1991). Situated Learning:
Legitimate Peripheral Participation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Comments
Post a Comment